Union for African Population Studies Job Vacancy
UAPS is a non-profit making Pan-African organization whose main objective is to promote the scientific study and application of research evidence in policy formulation and program development on population and development issues in Africa.
UAPS was established at the initiative of the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA) by the Third General Conference of African Demographers, Statisticians, and Planners held in Addis Ababa in March 1984.
The US seeks to recruit a full-time Research and Program Manager for an initial period of 12 months. S/He will be based at the UAPS secretariat in Accra, Ghana, and will report to the UAPS Vice-President.
Given the current situation related to the COVID-19 pandemic, UAPS can consider the possibility of having the successful candidate work remotely for a certain period of
Duties and Responsibilities
The Research and Program Manager will:
- Contribute to fundraising including developing concept notes and grant proposals to be submitted to existing and potential funders.
- Develop Terms of Reference related to UAPS work including those related to recruitments of consultants.
- Coordinate the activities of UAPS thematic scientific research panels including regular follow-up on their activities.
- Support the Editor-in-Chief in running the African Population Studies journal.
- Support the development and publishing of key reports.
- Review and/or develop key documents and manuals related to UAPS activities.
- Coordinate the update of the UAPS website content.
- Support the organization of UAPS meetings including Council meetings, regional meetings, and the African Population Conferences.
- Conduct any other UAPS activity as required.
- At least a Master’s degree (Ph.D. preferred) in demography, public health, sociology, population studies, or any other relevant field.
Knowledge, Skills, and Experience
- A minimum of 5 years of working experience in research and training on population studies or related fields.
- Excellent analytical, leadership, and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and work effectively in team situations.
4. Demonstrated capacity and prior experience in supervising others as a coach/mentor to train and develop their skills, including management skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of the French language will be an added advantage